Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Gore Vidal:


“It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail.”

"The more money an American accumulates the less interesting he himself becomes.” – from Homage to Daniel Shays: Collected Essays

“Whenever a friend succeeds, a little something in me dies.” – from The Sunday Times Magazine, 1973

“Andy Warhol is the only genius I’ve ever known with an I.Q. of 60″

“Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television.”

“Celebrities are invariably celebrity-mad, just as liars always believe liars.” – from Palimpsest: A Memoir

“I do many different things rather better than most people do one thing.” – from The Paris Review Interviews: Writers at Work, interview by Gerald Clarke, 1974

“The usual question everybody asks now is: What are you proudest of, Mr. Vidal, of all your great achievements? To which I answer: ‘Despite intense provocations over the course of what is becoming a rather long life, I have never killed anybody. That is my greatest achievement.’ A little negative maybe, but that’s it.” – from Vanity Fair, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment